I finally made Simplicity 8175!!! This was one of the first patterns that I bought when I first started learning how to sew in 2016. I even had this skirt in my fall sewing plans for two years straight…lol. So I’m really grateful that I finally made this skirt.
I made view B of Simplicity 8175. I cut out a size 6 purely out of habit. I’ve been making a lot of dresses and shirts and I’m a size 6 up top. However, I’m more of a pattern size 8 for bottoms. Luckily, this pattern has three inches of ease built into the pattern. So even though I cut out the wrong size, I still had two inches of ease in my skirt. Having one inch less of ease left me with a snug skirt, but I can breathe and move around just fine so it’s all good….lol. Next time I’ll have to remember to check the measurements for the pattern before I cut out all my pieces.
**This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on a link I will earn a small commission.**
For this skirt, I used black denim fabric that I purchased from JoAnn. This fabric may look familiar because I also used it to make a black sleeveless dress last year. I made the dress below using a size 10, boy was I way off on picking the right size for this pattern. I think I’ll try to take it apart one day and see if I can get a better fit. But anyway, let’s get back to my skirt.
I really enjoyed making this skirt. The pattern directions were very well written and easy to understand. I didn’t have any problems constructing this skirt. I was very pleased with how well I sewed the pockets for this skirt. This was my first time sewing this type of a pocket into a garment and it wasn’t hard at all. This pattern calls for an invisible zipper and I was happy that I got the zipper in on the first try.
I didn’t sew the threaded belt loops onto my skirt, but that was just out of pure laziness. This skirt has been finished for three weeks and almost every day of those three weeks I told myself I needed to sew on those thread loops. Maybe one day I’ll actually add the thread loops, but for now, it seems like the belt stayed in place just fine without them.
This was such an easy make, that I definitely want to make it again.