So….I started sewing this DIY Kimono last year and I’m just now finishing it. This DIY Kimono was easy to make. So why did it take me several months to finish it? I just didn’t like making it.
**This post contains an affiliate link. If you make a purchase after clicking on a link I will earn a small commission. Clicking on a link doesn’t cost you extra money.**
Last fall, I checked out a book from the library, Sewing in a Straight Line: Quick and Crafty Projects You Can Make by Simply Sewing Straight. This book has several easy sewing projects with step-by-step instructions that most beginners can sew. Including a cute kimono that I wanted to try sewing. I thought this would be a fun and easy sew that I could make in a day or two.
I’ve been sewing almost exclusively with patterns and I like how when using a pattern you cut out all your pieces of fabric before you start sewing. For me, this makes the sewing process flow in an efficient manner. However, with the instructions in this book, you don’t cut all your pieces of fabric at the same time. And this is the part that I hated!!! I did not like the process of cutting out two pieces of fabric and sewing them together. Then going back to my fabric and measuring out a different piece of fabric and cutting it. Then sewing that piece of fabric. Only to have to go back and measure and cut out fabric several different times. This was way too much back and forth for me.
Which made me put it to the side. I thought I would pick it back up after a few days, but it was actually a few months…lol.
The second reason I didn’t like making this kimono was totally my fault. The book calls for silky type fabrics to make this DIY Kimono. Silky type fabric can be hard to cut because it can slide around while you are trying to cut it. Knowing this I should have made a paper pattern for each piece. Just so that it would have something to be anchored to, so it would be easier to cut the fabric. However, I just tried to mark the cutting lines with chalk. This did not work out well for me.
I had several pieces of fabric that I did a terrible job of measuring and cutting. Therefore my DIY kimono doesn’t really seem to be symmetrical. One side is definitely a little longer than the other side. I also think that one sleeve is also longer than the other one. Then one of the shoulder seams is in front of my shoulder and the other shoulder seam is behind my shoulder. I know most people will not notice most of these things, but it bothers me a little bit.
With that being said for the time being I will stick to using patterns. Luckily, my DIY Kimono turned out ok. But I feel like I could have made a better kimono if I had used a regular pattern.