Happy Valentine’s Day!!! My nine-year-old son is always telling me I should make more gifts versus buying gifts. Because it makes the gift even more special when you take time to make it yourself. So this year for Valentine’s Day instead of buying my kiddos greeting cards that come with stickers or a bracelet. I decided to make them something special instead, DIY Felt Envelopes with their favorite treats inside.
These DIY Felt Envelopes are super easy to make (my five-year-old even made one all by herself). Plus, they are perfect if you need to make a last minute gift. To make your own gather the following supplies:
**This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission.**
- Decide on the size of your envelope. You can use the whole felt sheet to make a bigger envelope or you can cut the felt sheet in half for a smaller envelope.
- Create desired size of the envelope by bringing bottom half of the felt up to create pocket portion. Then determine how much of a lapel (the pointy part of the envelope) you want your envelope to have. You can eyeball it and fold it into thirds to get a uniform envelope. Or you can adjust it, however, you like depending on if you want a smaller lapel and a bigger pocket area for your envelope.
- Cut the lapel for your envelope.
- Thread your needle with embroidery thread. Then tie a knot at one end of the thread.
- Then begin sewing the pocket area of your envelope by inserting your needle through the inside of the pocket so your knot from the thread will remain inside of the envelope. Then whip stitch up the side of your envelope. You can stitch up the lapel and around to the other side of the envelope. Or you can stop when you when you get to the lapel area and then whip stitch the other side of the envelope.
- Once you are finished stitching the sides of the envelope you can add a button to your envelope if you like. Start by cutting a buttonhole in the lapel area. Then align button under the buttonhole and sew the button onto the pocket portion of the envelope.
- Viola!!! All done! You have your very own DIY Felt Envelopes. 🙂
After I sewing up these DIY Felt Envelopes for my kiddos. I placed their favorite treats inside of them. For my son, I added some Annie’s Fruit Snacks into his envelope. And for my daughter, I added some Frosted Sugar Cookies into her envelope. I also added a special note inside each of their envelopes.